Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Life in AD - "The View"

One of the things that the kids and I find weird now is how we just take what most people see as amazing as just something we see everyday, a few times a week, or in the case of things in Dubai, a few times a month.  My son pointed this out to me one day when we were driving on Yas Island.  Yas is one of the many Abu Dhabi islands and it can be seen from the kids' school.  It is the home of Yas Marina Circuit, the F1 track here that actually has a portion of the track that passes under the Yas Hotel.  We were actually driving past Ferrari World on Yas, the indoor theme park with a well you guessed it Ferrari theme, when my son made his point.  For you roller coaster fans Ferrari World also boasts the fastest roller coaster in the world, the Formula Rossa, that reaches a speed of 240 km/hr.   Anyways, he asked me if I noticed how now we just drive past things like Ferrari World that once  amazed us as if we were just driving past something that was no big deal.  I started thinking and realized he was right, and I remembered my first visit to Abu Dhabi how we actually pulled the car over to take pictures of Ferrari World and Yas Marina Circuit.  Then I started thinking of all the other things here in the UAE that have become just normal everyday sights to us that most people would stop the car get out and take a picture.

I thought it might be neat to share a few of these "normal" sights.

Ferrari World on Yas Island



Yas Marina Circuit with part of the Yas Hotel in the background



The Yas Hotel and Marina at night



The Aldar Building 



The Capital Gate also known as "The Most Leaning Tower in the World"



The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque



Emirates Palace



Burj Al Arab


Ski Dubai (Yes, this is inside the mall.)



The Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world)



And for the guys, a few examples of the  "pimped rides" you see on the road  here.




















No comments: