Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

America's My Hometown



Ok, I may get a little sappy here, so I'm just warning you guys. Today, I was making a quick run to the Bani Yas Grande when  this song by Uncle Kracker came on the radio. Maybe I'm a little late, or it's just the fact that most radio stations here are stuck in the 80's. Today was the first time I have ever heard this song.

Anyways, I got a little choked up over it. No, I didn't cry, but I did get that lump in your throat where you feel like you might. Before you start laughing at me or thinking I'm crazy, let me explain why the mention of America and her glory gets me all emotional.

I know I have readers from all over the world now, but I'm going to single out my American compatriots today.  After living in the UAE, I think every American should have to spend some time in a foreign land at some point in their life. Why? Living away from the US makes you love and appreciate it even more. I think there are a lot of Americans that don't understand what a wonderful thing it is to be an American. Sure, we get criticized by the rest of the world (trust me, do we ever). Despite the criticism, to many we still have a life they can only dream of having.

No, I'm not trying to knock my new home. It's just for me, nothing can take the place of America in my heart. I love America and its offer of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness to all that call it home. Even more now, I love the brave young men and women that sacrifice their lives daily to protect her and her citizens like me.

So, today I'm reminded again that I do miss you, America. I miss Virginia mountains and North Carolina beaches. I miss your green grass and trees. I miss your snow and rain. Most of all, I miss your people... my family and friends.

America's MY hometown.


3 comments:

SoCal Tess said...

What a sweet post! Do you have an ETA of when you guys get to come back?

YABBA DHABI DOOOOO! said...

We'll spend at least a month in the US this summer, but we'll be living here for a while.

Christie said...

I lived overseas as a kid, and have lived like a vagabond all of my life. But the Carolinas? Oh, I get all weepy thinking about it...